Good Morning Parent Warriors!
Today(January 14, 2021) is our first Action Item of this legislative session!
At 10:30 am, the Senate Education Committee will hold a live meeting on SB 5044: Concerning professional learning, equity, cultural competency, and dismantling institutional racism in the public school system.
Read the Bill here : http://lawfilesext.leg.wa.gov/.../Senate%20Bills/5044.pdf...
WHAT ARE OUR CONCERNS
1) It's basically a blank bill: Yes, it's 5 pages with a lot of words, but much like the CSE Bill didn't show us the curriculum, this doesn't give us access to WHAT they actually want to train Teachers, WHAT that will look like or HOW be implemented in the schools. SHOW us the training manuals.
2) Nothing is defined: Not once do they define their idea of equity, cultural competency, or what dismantling institutional racism or explain how that will be rolled out in schools. There must be clear definition within the law AS WELL AS access to the exact training materials and implementation processes they intend to use.
WHAT TO DO TODAY ( These are All important for logging the number of people interested in and opposed to this Bill. Numbers Help Build Opposition Power)
1) Follow this link to Comment on this Bill: https://app.leg.wa.gov/pbc/bill/5044
2) Call the Legislative Hotline: 1-800-562-6000
3) Watch the Hearing Live Here (video will start when meeting goes live) https://www.tvw.org/watch/?eventID=2021011146
4) Register a Public Comment: You can either comment live via zoom or submit a written comment. This is different than commenting on the Bill as your comments here become part of the hearing record and each member of the committee gets to see/hear them vs. just your local Rep. who may or may not be on this particular Committee: Use this link: https://app.leg.wa.gov/CSIRemote/Senate
Stay. Engaged. Lets GO!!